Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Wacky Wednesday - Superpowered Rhinos

Today's Prompt: Write a horror story about an unpopular rhinoceros who discovers that she has superpowers.


Melody Joy wrote:

Murry was never popular in school. Probably because she was the only rhinoceros in the crash who had a boy’s name despite her obvious femine curves. As a result, the other rhinos refused to play with her at school.

One day, little Murry was playing by herself in the sandbox when she squinted too hard at the bucket and it burst into flames. Something dark awakened in her as she looked at the smoldering pool of purple plastic that she had once used to make epic sandcastles.

She spend every day and every night after that practicing with her newfound superpowers, careful to not let anyone see her until she was certain that she had them under control. She became more and more secluded over the years as she spent all her time alone.

On the last day of school, all of the other rhinos were ready to graduate. She had been forgotten as per usual, even by the teachers. Just as the most popular rhino got up to gave the graduation speech, Murry burst into the auditorium, eyes blazing.

Concentrating all of her pent up anger into one big burst of energy, she swept her eyes across the room and watched students, teachers, and parents burst into flames. They screamed, ran, and tried to escape, but it was too late.


Soon, all that was left of the school was a pile of ash and bones. Murry herself got caught in the flames and burned to death along with everyone else. The site remains smoky to this day, and it is said that if you listen closely, you can still hear the screams of the rhinos fleeing in terror from Murry’s wrath.


Dana Lee wrote:

My name is Shaylalay the rhinoceros. I am just an ordinary rhino living in an ordinary life. Well, that is what I like people to think. I have super powers that I have not told anyone about. Mostly, I can talk to humans which allows me to prey on them easier. My family thinks I am just a very good hunter but I will never tell them my secret.

*                     *                     *                     *                     *

My name is Frank. I am a professional rhino hunter, and am quite good at it if I do say so myself. I have trophies overflowing in a room in the basement of my house. I also have the record for capturing the most amount of rhinos in the history of the world. I am on a mission to capture what is known as the "talking rhino."

*                     *                     *                     *                     *

(Shaylalay) I was walking through the forest one day when I came across an odd fellow. His name, he told me, was Frank. He told me that he was here to kill me. He said that he was some sort of professional hunter. "Don't make me laugh," I said. I continued on my path but could not shake the feeling that someone was following me. I turned around and sure enough. Frank was following my every path. I knew I had to do something. I could not give my secret away to my family. But more importantly I needed to protect them from this maniac. If I led him to my house he would surely kill them all.

*                     *                     *                     *                     *

(Frank) It was not long before I found the talking rhino. I knew I could get her to do what I wanted. I just needed to stay on her trail long enough to kill her. She may even lead me to her family which would be a sweeter reward for me.

*                     *                     *                     *                     *

(Shaylalay) I found the biggest cave I could to take cover in. I needed a plan. All of a sudden! It hit me! I have a super power or convincing humans to do bizarre things....and he would sure make for a tasty dinner. I gathered all of my other animal friends and together we made a potion that would sure kill this human who was so focused on killing me and my family.

*                     *                     *                     *                     *

(Frank) I followed the rhino into the cave. I noticed there was a lot of water in a well. I was so thirsty that I took a sip. I got dizzy. My language was slurred. Next thing I know I was laying on the ground with all these animals surrounding me with forks and knives.

Then I woke up.

That was the weirdest dream I ever had. Perhaps I should stop watching the animal planet before heading to bed.


Chuck C. wrote: (warning: this story gets a bit graphic.)

Terrance's victory:

“Hey Terrance, if your horn was any shorter, not even poachers would want you!” they shouted at him as he left Ivory High School, which was nearly his alma matter. You see, Terrance was not the most popular rhino at the world's only rhino high school. The results of experimentation gone awry, the crop of sentient rhinos were living 30 miles outside of the Detroit Zoo. Like any gathering of sentient beings, there was a social order to be recognized. Terrance was at the bottom of this order.

He made his way back to his home with his head hung low. He was sick of being treated so poorly just because his horn was shorter than everybody else's. It was a stormy night. Thunder and lighting was cracking through the sky. Terrance started to pick up his pace. The thunder was making him nervous. Suddenly his senses were overwhelmed by a white flash and an impossibly loud crack. He keeled over and passed out.

When he awoke he had no idea how much time had passed. He was right were he had passed out. He looked at his watch and realized that nearly a day had passed. If he did not hurry he would be late for his own graduation. Despite his unpopularity he was the top of his class. The human teachers always preferred him over the rest of his classmates. They decided that he would be Ivory High's first valedictorian. Although this made his human caretakers proud, it was yet another social hindrance. He ran briskly towards the stadium as he could already hear the music starting.

Suddenly his path was obstructed by Rodney, a spoiled and entitled brat who's parents owned the high school.  He stopped suddenly mere feet in from running into him.

“So Terrance, ready to graduate today? I hear you're the favorite, even with your...inadequacies” He said with a snark.

Terrance could feel the rage building up inside of him. He had put up with this for four years. “Get out of my way Rodney, I have to get to graduation”.

Rodney strut around the path a bit, scuffing his hoof across the ground. “What are you going to do about it Terrance?”

Terrance was done. He had had enough. “Move now, Rodney, or you'll regret it,” he huffed.

Rodney trotted over face to face with Terrance. “Why don't you make me?” He whispered.

Terrance's horn began to glow a bright red as his nostrils huffed with a reddish smoke.

“Hey man! Cool it, alright? I was just joking,” Rodney said, his voice beginning to shake. He stepped back a little, but was near frozen in fear.

“You've mocked me for the last time Rodney,” Terrance said, his eyes glowing.

Suddenly his horn shot straight up from his head. It went about twenty feat into the air, curved back around and shot down towards Rodney's head. Rodney let out a rather loud and feminine scream before the horn drove through his skull and pinned it to ground. It lifted out of Rodney's perforated skull and reattached itself to Terrance's head before Terrance had realized what had happened.

He stood there in shock at the gory scene in front of him. For a moment he panicked at what he had done. That moment, though, was fleeting. He realized then how he can get his revenge. All the years of bullying, teasing, and ostracizing him for his small horn, its time they got some payback.

He strolled past the pile of gray flesh that was Rodney and made his way to the stadium where the ceremony had already begun. He made it to the back of the stage.

“And everyone give a hand for this year's valedictorian Terrance Witherbee!” the announcer said.

Terrance strode up the stage and set himself behind the podium. Before him was everyone who had chided him, scorned him, and made him feel like a loser. Well, they were about to get theirs, he thought.

“You know, I have been a student here at Ivory High School for 4 years,” he said. Someone in the front row snickered about his horn. “I have never truly felt a part of things here,” his horn began to glow, “It's time you all know how I really feel.”

The crowd began to gasp as he kicked the podium over and stared into the crowd. Red smoke pumped through his nostrils as his horn shot up and weaved its way through the crowd. They began to scatter but it was no use. Terrance's horn caught up with them. Soon the field was still and quiet with a light red fog hazing over it. His horn reattached itself to his head and he got off the stage. As he strode away from the horror scene with one thought in his head: how fitting, how poetic, that his scorned horn be the instrument of their demise.

No comments:

Post a Comment