Monday, January 12, 2015

All About Me Monday - Lost Children

Today's Prompt: Write about a time when you got lost as a child. It could be you getting lost alone, or with your whole family.


Dana Lee wrote:

The first time I got lost that I remember, I was at the mall with my mom and sister. I was wearing a bright neon green shirt that had some sort of Looney Tunes character on it. It was probably Tweety Bird because I was loved Tweety Bird. This may all seem irrelevant but I promise it all ties in at the end.

My mom left my sister and I to go to a different store in the mall. We were old enough to be on as long as we were with each other. My sister left to go ask my mom something and before I knew it I was in this huge mall by myself. Okay, it wasn't really huge... it was just Macomb Mall, which is about the size of a Meijer.

Of course I went immediately to find security because I am very impulsive.  I was only with the guard for all of five minutes when my mom and sister saw me walking down towards the office. This is where my shirt comes in to play. It was bright... very bright, as I mentioned before. This being said, it is clear that my mom and sister could see me from a rather large distance.


I wish it was more of an exciting story with bad guys, gypsies, and wizards but that is all there is to it.


Chuck C. wrote:

An Early Christmas

Christmastime at the Twelve Oaks mall in Novi, Michigan is certainly a crazy time. Some would label it a Christmas wonderland full of people seeking out gifts to bless their loved ones in a wonderful time of year. Others would say it’s a anarchic everyone-for-yourself free-for-all, overrun with consumerist savages shopping at the behest of corporate advertisement.

As a young child of no more than three, I am sure I believed the former. I, of course, do not remember this incident, but it is indelible in my memory do to the many times my mother has regaled this tail. My parents, my sister, and I had made what I understand to be a rare trip to Christmas mecca in the dead of winter. We braved the white parking lot and crossed the threshold into a sea of Christmas decorations and milling consumers. We traveled through, going about our shopping.

At the center of the mall was quite possibly the most magnificent display my young eyes had ever seen. A mountain of neatly wrapped boxes in a myriad of Christmas colors. I was enamored and insisted on being taken to them. Of course my parents knew the presents were fake. I, of course, would have none of this and continued to insist I be brought there. Soon, after realizing I would not be brought there by my parents, I hatched a plan to get there myself.

I waited until my parents weren’t looking and I slipped away. Running as fast as I could with foot-long legs, I weaved my way through the crowds and found my prize. The mile-high stack of presents was right in front of me. I easily slipped under the ropes cordoning off the pile and went to town. I grabbed one and began shedding off the glistening wrapping paper, only to discover its contents were a hollow box. Undeterred, I grabbed another, and another, until I was sitting in a pile of opened fake presents.

By the time my frantic parents had found me, I had opened five boxes, and was attempting to open another. I do not know what the reaction of the mall staff was to this. I'd imagine it they were not all that keen on the idea, but having nearly lost their first-born son, I think my parents would have cared little either way. This early Christmas would be a tale that my mother would tell for years to come, especially any time we drove by the 12 Oaks Mall.


Pope Jon wrote:

It started out warm and dry with the darkness pressing in around me. The walls were endless as I clawed my way around, hoping desperately to find the exit. I could hear the laughter of my tormentor, and I decided to cry out for help once again.

"Help me! I'm lost!" I pleaded, desperate for sweet freedom. Freedom would mean I could breath freely, stand erect, and bask in the light of day as humans are meant to do.

My the tormentor just laughed and "encouraged" me to "just come out!"

Were it that simple. I thought bitterly, my mind horrified but refusing to panic.

As I continued to claw around aimlessly, I would see a way out, only to discover that it was just another trick of my feeble, 8 year old mind. I began to wonder if I'd ever escape as the labyrinth suffocated me in heat and fabric. I took time to pause and consider my options, but there didn't seem to be any other than what I'd tried already. My tormentor continued to laugh gleefully as my captor tortured me mercilessly.

Finally, at long last, I glimpsed the light of day, and with it, my liberation. Holding nothing back, I rushed for the exit, and was at last rid of my prison.

My mother watched as I emerged triumphantly with a gasp of breath, tears of laughter gathered in her cruel eyes.

"It's not funny," I pouted, with my hair standing strait up from a combination of static electricity and terror-induced rage.

I vowed to never go head-first into a sleeping bag again.

No comments:

Post a Comment