Monday, January 19, 2015

All About Me Monday - Early Memories

Today's prompt: What is your earliest memory?


Melody Joy wrote:

The earliest memory that I know is my own because it was such an insignificant event happened slightly before I turned 2 years old. I remember my parents were having a garage sale, and I remember being outside and seeing the tables filled with our stuff that they were trying to sell. What I remember most about it is that my dad was selling his motorcycle, and the neighbor’s son was coming over to look at it.


Chuck C. wrote:

I couldn't have been more than three or four years old. My family and I were living in a small apartment. I do not recall much from that time, but one night stands out quite vividly. My parents had taken me to bed, leaving me the requisite cup of apple juice that I could not sleep without. My room, as I recall, was actually quite large in comparison to my parents'. Both me and my sister inhabited the space, though at that age sibling rivalry was in its infancy.

I drank my juice quickly and without hesitation. Despite the normally sedative effect that apple juice had on me, sleep still eluded me. So, I did what any normal child that age would do: make the slip from my room and wander into my parents' room.

The door was already slightly ajar. Good. A quieter entrance means less likelihood that they'll wake up and make me go back to my lonely bed. I tip-toed over to their bed and sneakily slipped into bed. Its occupants stirred a bit but otherwise appeared undisturbed. I cuddled in and.... realized I needed more apple juice. I knew that if I asked cute enough my mother couldn't resist accommodating me.

I looked up and cooed, “Mommy, can you get me some more apple juice?” The beds occupants stirred a bit, awaking from their slumber. After what was likely a moment of orientating to the world of the awake, one of them spoke.

The deep, projecting voice of my grandfather, not my adoring mother, responded to my plea: “Yeah, buddy, I'll get you some apple juice.” I jumped out of bed and dashed into my room, hiding under my blankets.

Apparently, unbeknownst to me, my grandparents had come over after I had gone to bed and my parents let them sleep in their bed while they rode the couch. My mother soon came in and calmed me down, giving me another glass of my much-loved apple juice. I soon went to bed and slept like a small child.


Pope Jon wrote:

My earliest memory is the revelation that I had no memory.

I was around 4 or 5 years old, and naturally didn't remember much about the years past, but wasn't old enough to understand that this was normal. I was sitting in the back of my mother's car, and was suddenly distressed.

How did I get here? Why don't I remember what happened a year ago? I pondered frantically but silently. Something must be wrong with me. I can't even remember being born!

Over the years, I came to accept my strange memory loss, and have given up trying to recall just what happened throughout years 0-4.


No comments:

Post a Comment