Saturday, January 17, 2015

Saturday Extras!

We have decided to add an extra day just for you! Saturdays will now include the extra blog entries that weren't used during the week, so you get an extra response for every prompt every week!


Monday's Prompt: Write about a time when you got lost as a child. It could be you getting lost alone, or with your whole family.

Melody Joy wrote:

I can’t honestly remember getting lost as a child, either because I blocked such traumatic events from my memory or because I simply didn’t get lost because I stayed close to my parents out of fear of getting lost. But once I started driving and was venturing out on my own, I developed a reputation for getting lost.

One such time happened while I was working at a summer camp in the country. Having grown up in the city where everything is well-lit and most street names are easy to find, I had to do some adjusting. At the end of the summer, we had a “mandatory fun party” at the director’s house, who lived just a few minutes from camp.

I got there ok, taking the five or six turns on dirt roads with small street signs as directed. It was still light when I arrived. As I left, however, it was dark. And in the country with no street lights, it’s dark at night. I was also feeling a little overwhelmed emotionally as the end of the summer was coming to a close and all the people I had grown so close to were going back to their separate lives, so I wasn’t devoting my full attention to the turns.

Somehow, someway, I missed a turn or turned too soon.

It didn’t take me long to realize that I no longer knew where I was or where I even had to go in order to get back to anything familiar. I was an hour from the familiar streets of the city I had grown up in. At that point, I knew how to get from camp to Walmart and that was basically it.

I continued driving since I knew I would have an even harder time finding my way back to the director’s house at that point. I held back tears and started praying instead, wondering if I should stop at a random person’s house to ask for directions... There certainly weren’t any gas stations around to pop into for help.

When I had nearly gotten to a full panic, I saw a bit of light up ahead, and the light of several sets of headlights travelling parallel to me. I continued to drive forward eagerly, and found myself at one of the paved roads that I knew. Fortunately, I did have enough sense of direction at that point in my life to know which way to turn, and soon found my way back to camp.


Friday's Prompt: What is your favorite fast food place? Write a review of the restaurant or your favorite meal as though it was a 5-star, gourmet restaurant.

Dana Lee wrote:

I recently enjoyed at meal at Hardee's. This restaurant is few and far between in the state of Michigan. I heard rumors of a similar franchise called Carls' Jr. but I have yet to have the privilege of dining there.

The service at Hardee's is known as $6 service. They want you to know from the very start that this is the place to be. This is the place where you will eat the best burger and receive the best service. They are not very far off from achieving this goal.

I ate the famous $6 burger with their beer-battered onion rings. Everything in the store is made in the store. The only thing missing is the farm in the back in which they kill the cows.

The only thing missing in this restaurant is cleanliness. The tables were dirty, the bathrooms looked like they hadn't been clean all week, and the dumpster was overflowing. But who really needs a clean restaurant when you serve food that is that delicious?

No comments:

Post a Comment