Saturday, May 30, 2015

Saturday Extras!

Prompt: Do you speak other languages? What languages do you speak? Why did you choose to learn them?


Melody Joy wrote:

Besides English, I also speak sarcasm, meme, and Spanish. Also Spanglish, but not as much now that my Spanish is better. I grew up speaking sarcasm. I learned it from my family, who are also fluent. I learned meme recently because to me it’s like having a funny inside joke but with millions of people which just makes it awesome.

And I learned Spanish because I live in Honduras, and they speak Spanish here. I mostly picked it up from the kids I was teaching English to, but I did also go through a couple weeks of a Spanish immersion program which helped a lot, and will soon be attending more Spanish classes or getting intense tutoring so I can achieve fluency.

Right now I’m conversational, but I want to be fluent because I have an opportunity to teach street kids which is my real heart, but I have to teach in Spanish. I did some Spanish teaching on the streets with some kids on my own, but it would work a lot better in a classroom setting.



Prompt: Describe this flower. Include: scientific name, common name, where it’s from, it’s growth cycle, what it’s used for, etc..


Pope Jon wrote:

Commonly referred to as "Grrr" or "Ugh," this specimen is officially identified as "Failed to load image."

There are countless variations of this species, with families in Mac, PC, and Linux kingdoms. Within each kingdom, there are countless subspecies that evolve rapidly over time.

While floral in appearance, the "FtLI" actually feeds off of dead images. Some FtLI appearances are brief, while some last seemingly indefinitely.

There are many methods for both avoiding and for removing appearances of FtLIs, mostly involving refreshing pages and superior internet quality.


In case anyone didn't understand, that's the flower I was asked to describe.


Melody Joy wrote:

What is your favorite vacation spot? Write an ad for it.

Growing up, we went to a lot of different places on vacation, mostly various campgrounds, but we never went to any consistently enough for me to have established a favorite. I think my parents just liked to try out different campgrounds for different experiences.

So I guess I’m just going to go with campgrounds in general as my favorite vacation spots. They get you out into nature and you get to do things that you wouldn’t normally get to do at home in the city, like climbing trees and building fires and playing “tennis” in the road.

I guess I should write an ad for campgrounds now....

Come out and get your nature on at Whispering Oaks Family Campground! We have walking paths, disc golf, regular golf, a lake where you can swim or fish, and miles of hiking trails through the thick forests. Gather the whole family around the campfire after a long fun-filled day to roast hotdogs and marshmallows and create memories. Get away from the city lights and look up at the multitude of stars that you didn’t know were there before.


For more information on our blog, please read our welcome page by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment