Monday, May 18, 2015

All About Me Monday - Movie Day!

Today's prompt: How have some of your favorite movies changed who you are today?


Melody Joy wrote:

I have a very active imagination. I always have, to the point where I actually know what my imaginary monster friend (and his family) look like because I literally remember being in our backyard fighting bad guys with him because my imagination was that good.

A lot of my favorite movies are science fiction / comic book superhero types of movies, which I believe helped to further encourage my active imagination even to this day. I still use my imagination regularly when reading and writing and I never have to be bored because I can always retreat into my mind to find plenty of things to see and do and imagine.


Dana Lee wrote:

I love the Harry Potter series. I grew up reading the books and watching the movies. I have read the books more than I ever care to admit. I have seen the movies also more than I care to admit. Believe it or not, those movies helped me to become the person I am today. I was not very confident when I was in middle school. I was more socially awkward than the normal middle schooler.

When I entered high school I found a group of misfits that liked the series as much as I did. We bonded over what house we would like to live in. I finally found a group of people that was as weird as me. I finally found somewhere that I fit in. I was also able to learn a lot of life lessons through reading Harry Potter. It is surprisingly more insightful than a lot of people give it credit for. I learned what it meant to be a good friend. I learned to stand up to people who were not nice to me and others. I also learned how to deal with death when a lot of people I loved passed away in my junior year. I know it sounds incredibly lame but Harry Potter really did help me get through my awkward teenage years. This imaginary world that was so far away helped me deal with my reality.




Dan Christmann wrote:

A very difficult question for a person with a performing arts background like myself! Oddly enough, though, the films that have changed me I wouldn’t really call my favorite films. The only movies I’ll watch over and over again are Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner and Kung Pow! Enter the Fist, which should really need no introduction.

But as far as influence is concerned, that’s where things get a mite complicated. The movies that has had the most impact on my lately are by Lars Von Treir: Antichrist and Nymphomaniac. They are both fantastic films, but I can’t say that I would really recommend anyone watch them. Antichrist, for example, is an ordeal. A beautifully rendered, two hour long assault. Nymphomaniac is at least four hours long in total, and at the end made me physically feel like I was going to vomit. I don’t necessarily like either of these films. But they definitely changed the way I look at cinema. I have been at plays before which were that powerful. But never before had I had a piece of cinema that reached out of the screen and tore my guts out in the same way.

Another film that changed me, but I couldn’t necessarily recommend is Andrei Tarkovsky’s The Gospel According to Andrei Rublev. This is another relentlessly long film, but also one of the most beautiful films I’ve ever seen. I can’t say I remember the whole thing. I watched it with a professor from Romania during (and after) a class a few years ago. And I have to admit that I don’t really remember what it was all about. This thing is five hours long, people! I don’t know if it changed me, but I’ll always remember it, because I left with a bemused sort of feeling of intense boredom blended with one of peace and goodwill toward my fellow human beings. I think it’s probably a feeling comparable to reading Dostoyevsky. It’s not necessarily something you always comprehend, but something you come through.


Some of us are currently working our way through the top 250 movies of all time (according to imdb.com), so check out our blogs about that!

Melody Joy: top250moviechallengeadventure.blogspot.com/

Dana Lee: challengelists.blogspot.com/



For more information on our blog, please read our welcome page by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment