Friday, May 1, 2015

Friday Favorites - What's that Smell?

Today's Prompt: What is your favorite smell? Describe it in details and explain why it is your favorite.


Dan Christmann wrote:

Smell is a very difficult thing for me to talk about, actually. I have a quack theory that it’s because my nose is directly hardwired to my emotional centers, more so even than most people. So my favorite smells aren’t always the ones that I enjoy, they’re the ones that evoke memory in me. The smell of mildew in the cold, for example, reminds me of my grandpa, and the cabin that he used to keep on the shores of a small inland lake up north. Cedar has a weird association with home. Anywhere I smell it becomes suddenly familiar, intimate and friendly. Then, there’s the certain smell in the air (maybe it’s more of a feeling) that spring is coming. It’s a soft, wet breeze.

But right now I think my favorite smell isn’t something I can talk about directly. Not that I can’t name or define it, but I don’t think I have the right to it anymore. But it is a smell that sometimes lingers on my clothing, that I sometimes catch hints of in my car or on the sleeve of my coat. It still features predominantly on some of my sheets. But soon, I won’t be able to smell it at all anymore. And on that day I will feel the loss more terribly than I can know.


Dana Lee wrote:

The smell of rain is my favorite smell. I love it so much that I often choose lotions and hair conditions that have a "water scent." I love how you can take a deep breath and the whole world smells clean. All the dirt and soil that had once been present had been washed away. All the land is covered by water. The fresh cleanliness of the grass and sidewalk is apparent with every breath. It reminds me about how Noah must have felt as soon as he got off the arc for 40 days. I imagine him taking a deep breath and saying, "Oh yeah, this is what clean smells like."


Pope Jon wrote:

I love the smell of stinky feet.

Oh, you don't believe me? Well I'm not going to type it again so you'll have to read it again.

Did you read it again? Still don't believe me? Here's an image.


I really don't know how to describe the smell of stinky feet in any detail, but I think it's a smell with which we are all familiar. It's a bit like popcorn, but more pungent.

Now, if your mind is half as screwed up as mine, you're thinking foot fetish right now. And no, that's not what this is about. I think it's something about taking off shoes and socks at the end of a long day. There's something rewarding about being blasted by that smell. Kinda like letting a fart out that you've been holding in order to be courteous and then finally getting to unleash that beast. It may smell terrible, but you put in a lot of hard work to encounter that smell, and I for one grew to appreciate that enough to enjoy the odor despite understanding that it does, in fact, smell terrible.


Me, someday.


For more information on our blog, please read our welcome page by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment