Monday, May 4, 2015

All About Me Monday - Flight Stories

Today's prompt: When was the first time you flew in a plane? Where did you go? What else do you remember from the experience?


Dana Lee wrote:

I am very thankful that the first time I flew was before the infamous 9/11. It was December of 2000. My whole extended family took a trip to Disney world. I was in 8th grade and my older sister was just about to graduate from high school. My immediate family flew out a few weeks before the majority them. We spent a week in my grandparent's condo before we went to Disney World.

I had no idea what to expect when I was boarding the plan. I was excited to go to Florida but the thought of flying terrified me. I chewed gum as my mom suggested in order to avoid my ears popping. I remember that they gave us a bag of complimentary nuts and we mocked that for years. I still have the package in a scrapbook (mostly just a notebook with pictures taped in and captions scribbled in) from the trip. We had a half hour layover in Georgia so we had to practically from from one side of the airport to the other in order to make our next flight in time.

The flight was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. It was smooth. Even the flight in Georgia which practically when up in the air to just do right back down. I surprisingly did not get sick on the flight like I thought I would. I have notoriously bad motion sickness. You can ask anyone.


Pope Jon wrote:

I could be wrong here, but I'm almost positive that my first flight was to Miami, but it was just a layover on my way to Jamaica.

I was on a missions trip with my youth group when I was a freshman in highschool. I remember a lot about that trip, but I don't want to waste potential material for future posts, so I'll keep it to just the flights themselves. Plus, that's what I've been asked to do by the Great Blog Director.

On the way from Miami to Jamaica, one girl on our team was completely terrified. She used the word "perish" constantly. She was like a kid when they learn a new word, and are excited to use it at every opportunity. I also recall one of our leaders bringing loads of Sudoku books. This was when they first got really popular, so a few of us were excited to pass the time with the little mind games.

We heard that the landing in Kingston, Jamaica was one of the most interesting landings in the world, and we were not disappointed. As the plane came closer and closer to the water, it looked more and more like we would perish a watery death. Just when we started to hold our breath, the runway appeared and the plane touched down almost immediately. Cool stuff.

Then we did missions trip stuff.

The return flight was relatively uneventful, but I recall waiting for a flight during out layover, and being very bored. One of the guys, whose true identity must remain anonymous, changed into his alter ego, Delta Man.

Delta Man wore a cape made from a Delta Airlines blanket, and was very agile. He displayed his impressive athletic talent by leaping from one row of chairs to the next. When a young admirer looked on, Delta Man looked at the lad and delivered his famous words.

"Remember, always fly Delta."


A surprisingly accurate portrayal of Delta Man.


Melody Joy wrote:

The first time I flew on a plane I was 10 months old and I don’t remember where we went nor do I remember the experience at all. The first time I remember flying in a plane I was 15 and I was on my way to Mexico on a mission trip. I clearly remember the take-off being like nothing I had ever experienced before. It was intense and exciting as we went faster and faster long the runway and then suddenly had lifted up in the air. It was crazy because it felt like we were going fast enough that I should have been plastered to my seat or felt the high velocity at which we were traveling but at the same time, it barely felt like we were moving once we got in the air.

Now I've been on so many flights that it's become mundane.


For more information on our blog, please read our welcome page by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment