Friday, May 22, 2015

Favorite Friday - Sports Triumphs

Today's prompt: What is your favorite sport? Describe a moment of triumph for a player of that sport.


Dana Lee wrote:

I genuinely enjoy playing soccer. I played it for a lot of years growing up. I made some of my best friends while playing that game. Some of the girls I still talk to after all these years. When I was playing I usually played defense. I was probably the best defenseman on the team, if we are being honest here. Those girls could try to score goals but it was not happening on my watch. I was also really good at making the other players offsides. Well, because I usually played defense I did not have many opportunities to score goals. One game in 8th grade my coaches put me on forward. They told me to stand by the goalie and wait for my teammate to pass me the ball. I did as they said. As soon, as they passed me the ball I shot it in and could not believe it. I stood there for a moment in shock because I did not realize how exciting it felt to score for your team. My teammates were all cheering for me and I could not stop smiling. That was my moment of triumph in my years of playing soccer. I was the player. I scored the goal. It makes me smile just thinking about it.


Dan Christmann wrote:

I don’t think I have anything for this one, unfortunately. The only thing I can think of are hockey players lifting aloft great cups, people getting doused by Gatorade, diamond rings, and endless people you don’t know congratulating you on something that, well, you’d probably have done without all of the hubbub. For me, sporting triumph is always about progress. I rode faster today. I lasted X number of rounds. It’s the ability to watch yourself grow that to me is the most triumphant aspect of sports. I realize I’m generalizing. But there’s much an athlete gives up by joining in the grand celebrations. I remember when my dad used to run marathons, I asked him how the hell he did it. And he just told me that he kept lying to himself that, when training, he could rest when he reached a certain spot. And when he reached that spot, he would make another promise to himself, and pass that spot. And on and on for twenty six miles. That, for me, is a triumph of athletics. Each time you pass that spot.


Pope Jon wrote:

The greatest sport of all time: Botaoshi.

What is Botaoshi?


Now, if you didn't watch the video, or if you did and require an explanation, here you go:

One team of 100 men is protecting a giant pole. Another team of 100 men must knock the pole over.

That's pretty much it. There are few rules besides no weapons and no murdering. Aparently in school leagues punching and kicking are also outlawed, but in the original military leagues, punching and kicking are important.

Right, to the "story" part.

As soon as the starting gun sounded, Saikuge and his entire team launched into action. Saikuge was part of the second wave, and while he wouldn't be in the spotlight, he was ready to do his part to ensure his team would emerge triumphant.

The first wave men rushed forward in wild abandon, screaming as the charged. Their purpose was to weaken the defenses of their opponents, and provide Saikuge and his comrades the opening they would need.

The first wave succeeded spectacularly, and Saikuge knew along with his entire team that they had a real chance of victory here if they kept focused. With the outer defenders being pushed back or aside, Saikuge and his companions plunged into the gap provided. Saikuge forced his way between two defenders as he charged, and came to a sudden halt as he clashed with the mass of defenders centralized on the pole. He continued to push forward, but braced himself and stood as tall and strong as he could. Before long, Saikuge could feel the third wave behind him, forming a ramp with their bodies for the final two waves to move into the thick of the battle.

That fourth wave came only a few seconds later, vaulting up their comrades and diving onto their enemies. Saikuge felt three or four of his comrades use him as a stepping stone, and in that moment he knew he'd done his part. He remained focused and strong, pushing inward and standing tall. With the fourth wave smashed into the central defenders, the fifth and final wave followed boldly, pursuing victory for all of their teammates who'd already done their parts.

Once again, Saikuge felt his teammates step on him to reach the prize. As soon as the last of the fifth wave stepped over him, Saikuge launched into the second part of the plan. With the fifth wave attacking the pole directly while standing primarily on the shoulders and heads of the defenders, Saikuge was now responsible for ensuring they wouldn't fall. As always, he pressed inward, but now focused on grabbing opponents arms and squeezing further into the chaos. He managed to make a small amount of progress, but before long three of his companions were hanging onto the top of the pole as the crowd roared. Still, he pressed forward until the whistles signaled the end of the competition - and his team's victory.

Though exhausted, the entire team cried out in victory, raising their arms together and exchanging laughter and praise. Saikuge knew in his heart that real war would never be so glamourous, but he allowed himself to enjoy the victory for what it was: a group of 100 individuals acting as a single organism, and overcoming a mighty challenge.


For more information on our blog, please read our welcome page by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment