Monday, June 1, 2015

All About Me Monday - Tats

Today's Prompt: Do you have any tattoos? If so, what are they? If not, do you want any and what would you like?


Melody Joy wrote:

I do not have any tattoos. I do want at least one, if I can get over the fact that getting one involves needles... What I would like to get is what I consider my “life verse,” Hosea 6:1. It reads, “Come, let us return to the Lord; for He has torn us, that He might heal us; He has struck us down, and He will bind us up.”

This verse is near to my heart because I first heard it directly from God when I felt broken one day and just felt like God told me “I have broken you, so I can remake you into what I intended you to be.” It wasn’t for another 10 months after that that my roommate at the time mentioned the actual written verse.

My hypothetical future tattoo will have the reference or maybe the whole verse along with a pair of hands holding pieces of broken pottery. I don’t know where I’d put it, but I know I’ve been thinking about it long enough at this point that I wouldn’t regret it.


Chuck C. wrote:

I have, at the moment, two tattoos. On my right shoulder I have a cross with a crown of thorns, and on my left I have the seventh chevron from the Sci-Fi franchise Stargate. They are both deeply meaningful to me in their own way. The cross to me represents my faith and the deep and fundamental role it plays in my life. Through my faith I define my existence. I daily fail to live up to the standard that my faith lays out, but I serve a God who's Grace is greater than my failures.

The seventh chevron on my left shoulder not only represents my love of Stargate and SciFi, but also my love of Philosophy. Sci-Fi, at least good Sci-Fi, is often a delivery vehicle to express philosophical ideas and dilemmas. Its often a means for the author/creator to explore ideas and thoughts in an abstracted setting, allowing the consumers to minimize imprinting their cultural perceptions and biases and confront the idea that the author intends. This unburdening allowed shows like Star Trek to have the first inter-racial kiss on television in a time when that was considered taboo.

I intend to get more tattoos. The idea I have is that the right half of my body will be reserved for faith-related tattoos. I hope to get the phrase in Latin “Sola Gratia” which means by Grace alone. Also I hope to get the shield of the Holy Trinity at some point. On my left side it’s going to be Sci-Fi/Fandom related tattoos. I hope to get the lyrics to the opening song for the show Firefly at some point.

Tattoos can be a wonderful expression of who you are and what you stand for. I always make sure though to think through them carefully. They are forever. I encourage everyone else to do the same.


Pope Jon wrote:

I currently have no tattoos, but for me, the ideal tattoo would work as follows:

Get tattoo of small, cartoon hamster on my chin with a speech bubble that says: "You found me!"

This way, when my beard grows for a long time, I'll either forget about the little guy and be in for a hilarious but embarrassing time until he is covered again, or I'll remember that he's there, and be sure to never shave my beard off.


For more information on our blog, please read our welcome page by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment