Monday, June 22, 2015

All About Me Monday - Good Advice

Today's Prompt: What is the best advice you have ever received?


Chuck C. wrote:

The best advice I ever receive was from my father. Whenever I would go through a difficult time, whenever storms would come across my life, he would say four simple words. “This, too, shall pass.” This mantra is something I not only repeat to myself when facing trials, but something I say to friends and family facing difficulty. Sometimes circumstances are out of our control, and all we can do is weather the storm and remember: This, too, shall pass.


Dana Lee wrote:

My mother is a very wise woman. I once dated this guy who I thought I loved. I gave him the part of me that I could never give to anyone else. When we broke up I was devastated. I thought that that God would never forgive me for making, what I considered, the ultimate bad choice. How could he forgive me if I could not forgive myself. We had a long discussion about this and she told me that it would be okay. God gave me the gift of grace and he forgives our sins. He knows that we are not perfect and that is okay.


Melody Joy wrote:

I’m resisting the urge to write about Shia Lebouff’s “Just do it” TED talk. I haven’t seen the actual talk, but I have seen the many parodies that have popped up since then... Part of the problem I’m having is that I’ve received a lot of great advice over the years, and now I can’t think of a single one that I would consider the best.

The advice that most changed my life was more of a prophesy, but it works: Do it afraid.

The thing I struggle most with is fear, and it was an overwhelming fear that kept me from returning to Honduras after spending a year there teaching and a summer back in Michigan. Giving in to the fear, I elected to stay in Michigan rather than go back to where God had called me. After hiding from my calling for a year and a half, I received that word from the pastor’s wife of the church I was attending.

She didn’t know what it meant when she told it to me, but I did. It meant I had to do the thing that I was most afraid of doing, which at the time was returning to Honduras. When I look back now, I have a hard time identifying exactly what it was I was even afraid of. Now Honduras is my home and I fear returning to Michigan for any period of time longer than 2 weeks.... Ironically I’m flying to Michigan today, and facing fears of being there for an undetermined amount of time.


For more information on our blog, please read our welcome page by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment