Monday, April 20, 2015

All About Me Monday - Life-Changing People

Today's Prompt: Write about someone you met that unexpectedly changed your life.


Dana Lee wrote:

Just before I entered high school my sister was telling me how awesome this one English teacher was. I was stoked when I saw that she was going to be my teacher for that upcoming Fall. I remember the first day of her class vividly. I sat in the first row alongside the door in front of a good friend at the time.

Mrs. W started the class with what was expected of us as her students. She told us we could only pass with an 80% or higher. She said that all absences would count against our grade in the class. She talked about having to write really long papers. There was more but I do not remember the rest.

Needless to say, I was terrified and had no idea why my sister liked her so much. Then, she gave us the best lesson we would ever receive. She told us to cross out any notes we had just written. She gave us the real syllabus for the class and said, "This just proves that no matter how bad you think high school can be, it can always be worse." I held onto those words all these years and have applied it to the rest of my life.

Thank you Mrs. W, I can never thank you enough. I hope one day to be half the teacher you were.


Pope Jon wrote:

If we're going strictly based on how much a person changed my life in combination with how unexpected it was, I'd have to go with Daniel R.

I met this guy when my cousin had a crush on him, and wanted to see him. So she invited me to hang out with her at the mall, and casually mentioned that I should pick up her friend on the way. How convenient.

I didn't hold my cousin taking advantage of my being one of the few peers she knew who could drive at the time against Daniel and we hit it off right away. That's the unexpected part.

The change part was that I'd suddenly become featured in countless school projects Daniel needed to film for his video editing (or whatever) class. Almost every weekend there was a new video that was due the following Monday, and he'd spent the previous weeks catching up on other assignments. I was featured as a homeless, alcoholic version of my younger brother, a guy who developed electric super powers only to be struck by lightning, and a prejudice and semi-cannibalistic murderer!

There was also the fact that Daniel helped me to get my first job for which I had to interview. All other jobs before were sorta given things. I'd been trying to get a steady job for a while at that point; I remember turning in countless applications, and had received zero call backs. We used to have a lot of adventures, Daniel and I. I'm not sure what happened to him, though. I think he got shipped to South America or something.


Melody Joy wrote:

I remember being in third grade and being one of the “bad kids” in Sunday School. I probably wasn’t nearly as bad as the others, but I thought I was pretty tough. Once, I sat on a tall stack of chairs and refused to come down right away.... Yeah. I was pretty hardcore back then.

One day, a new teacher came in who changed my life. I only vaguely remember meeting her, but I do remember immediately wanting to be good for her. We instantly clicked and the year flew by. At the end of my third grade year, I had become so attached to her I didn’t want to leave, so I ended up getting special permission to be her assistant the following year.

Needless to say, I was thrilled. For the next couple of years, I was her assistant in her Sunday School class. But the relationship went beyond Sunday mornings which is what made it so incredibly special. She would take me out on special outings, just her and me. We would go to an all-you-can-eat buffet and then go see a movie after. It became our tradition, and it was one that continued throughout middle school and even high school.

I still have a strong connection with her, and have had the pleasure of eating out with her several times in the last couple of years. In fact, she was one of the first to hear about a major life decision I had made a few years ago. She’s always been there for me, to the point where I often thought of her as a second mom. In fact, for Mother’s Day one year, I wrote a poem that my English teacher submitted to the newspaper which was published about my second mom.

Honestly, I don’t know where I would be now without her guidance through my adolescence years. I don’t think I would be where I am today if it wasn’t for her. I am a better person because of her.


For more information on our blog, please read our welcome page by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment