Monday, February 9, 2015

All About Me Monday - Haunting Decisions

Today's prompt: Talk about a decision that came back to haunt you (can be funny or serious).


Dana Lee wrote:

I am a fat kid at heart who loves food. This means that there's always food I want to eat but need to resist in order to prevent gaining a million pounds. It seems as though everything I eat adds on about 10 pounds. I'm not kidding! (This is one of the perks of growing older kids.)

Between Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve I ate more than my fair share of food. I couldn't help it....it all tasted so good. However, during this time frame I was not exercising as much as I should have been. I was stressed over an upcoming test and I had little to no motivation most days. I knew I should not have weighed myself. I knew I would not like what I saw.

I did it.

It was the moment of honesty.

"Here goes nothing," I said.

I gained about 20 pounds according to the scale.

Well, I can always start fresh next year... oh look! Cake.


Pope Jon wrote:

I have countless decisions like this, so I'd like to list the most common types considering that I don't have a single great story.

Every time I begin to get into a book series, television show, or play a video game, the plot gets spoiled for me. The actual decisions that do the haunting include looking up some facts, or further information about characters or settings in the case that I don't fully understand something. Sometimes it's because an image on the internet just shows up that gives away a plot twist. A few times endings have been included on a list of the greatest, and I haphazardly see just enough to figure out what happens.

I love pico de gallo. My digestive system, however, despises it. Every time I eat it, I nonchalantly remark that "I'll pay for this later," but when I do in fact pay, there is nothing nonchalant about what transpires.

My final haunt exists scattered throughout the trunk of my car, boxes in my basement, and files on my computer. I absolutely LOVE to invest in hobbies that no one else around me seems quite as passionate about. Sure, people usually try my new exciting hobby, but their lack of interest is always apparent, and I lack the will to force them to enjoy themselves, so I quit as well.


Melody Joy wrote:

When we were younger, my brother had a severe aversion to gristle and any part of a meat-based meal that was not meat. This meant whenever we had chicken, he would waste quite a bit of meat because of how much stuff he carelessly tossed to the side. I often picked through his refuse and ate all the meat that he had put to the side.

One day when we were having chicken, we were having a slightly heated discussion about his propensity to waste so much meat and so I made a bet with him that he couldn’t eat all the meat from his drumstick. He probably never ate so meticulously before, but $5 was on the line, and that was a lot back then.

At the end of the meal, he presented his usual pile of skin, tendons, and bone to me to sort through. This time, however, I had a hard time finding meat in the mass. I was beginning to lose hope and believed that I had lost the bet when I found a sliver of meat attached to a bit of gristle. I held it up triumphantly, declaring my victory.

But my brother denied that my treasure was meat, claiming it to be a piece of gristle which he had mistaken it for when he had left it in the discard mound in the first place. In order to prove that what I had was in fact meat, I made a terrible decision. I ate it.

As I swallowed that morsel of chicken, I swallowed the only evidence I had that I had won the bet. It was his word against mine, and my parents (wisely) chose to avoid taking sides. He claimed that in a moment of desperation I had eaten a piece of gristle just to win the bet, and I had no proof to back up the fact which was that he had wasted meat.

Years later, the debate continues, and I will forever regret eating that meat to prove my point instead of handing it over to one of my parents to verify.


For more information on our blog, please read our welcome page by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment